- Written by
- Published: 19 Aug 2021
Website Bronson Methodist Hospital
The System Lab Manager of Blood Bank is accountable to lead the administrative, technical, clinical and personnel responsibilities for their designated laboratory area(s). This individual will plan, organize and support the activities and resources related to quality patient care, human resources management and laboratory clinical function. The position is accountable to the financial management of the laboratory cost centers assigned to include establishing and monitoring operating and capital budgets.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university including courses in biological science, chemistry and mathematics and 3 years full-time experience in the clinical laboratory required.
Masters in a related field preferred.
MLS/MT ASCP Certification required.
Specialist in Blood Bank (SBB) ASCP certification preferred.
All individuals who are newly certified (since January 1, 2004) must maintain ongoing certification through completion of required maintenance program from ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology) accrediting body.
• Must be customer-focused, service-oriented and possess demonstrated skills in teambuilding, communication, decision-making, problem-solving, interaction, coping and versatility.
• Knowledge of personal computer applications such as Windows, Microsoft Word and Excel, medical terminology, CPT and ICD-10 coding.
Work which produces high levels of mental/visual fatigue, e.g., interactive and repetitive or small detailed work requiring alertness and concentration for sustained periods of time, the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT between 40 and 70 percent of the time.
The job produces some physical demands. Typical of jobs that include regular walking, standing, stooping, bending, sitting, and some lifting of light weight objects.
Demonstrates Bronson’s Standards for Excellence. Shows dignity and respect to patient, family and team members. Communicates and shares information with providers and team members, both verbally and written. Treats team members as valued partners. Team player that is insightful and reads interpersonal relationships well. Candidate must have excellent team building skills and must be team-oriented and team-driven. Demonstrates teaching, coaching and mentoring skills.
Interacts with all levels of management, external sources, and others in situations where policy, programs, employee relations issues and operational affairs are discussed and/or decisions made. Contacts require considerable tact and communication skills in order to negotiate with, gain the acceptance of and/or change the thinking of others in difficult and complex situations.
• Responsible for day-to-day administration and planning for the Blood Bank Department, establishing strategic objectives, planning and maintaining operating and capital budget and providing actionable reports for the healthcare system.
• Has the highest level of honesty and integrity.
• Must have a contemporary management style which emphasizes engagement, coaching, mentoring, accountability, accessibility, and team development.
• The ability to identify issues and problems and proactively implement strategies and resolutions in a logical and timely manner.
• Demonstrates a sense of personal ownership for the future success of laboratory function.
• Must be comfortable in setting clear and high standards and holding staff accountable to these standards.
• Process oriented in his/her approach to problem solving along with staff.
• Passionate to customer service and a commitment to service excellence.
• Actively promotes a lean work culture by performing value-stream manager duties to encourage consistent use of lean principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements.
• Conducts analysis of new Blood Bank technology for the laboratory.
• Formulates or plays a significant role in the formulation of policies for his/her area of responsibility and secures appropriate approvals. Develops and administers procedures necessary to implement approved policies and provides the overall direction necessary to ensure efficient and effective Blood Bank services for the healthcare system.
• Hires, develops, engages, evaluates, and (when necessary) disciplines and discharges assigned personnel and/or makes authoritative recommendations in such matters.
• Responsible for ensuring that our lab employees follow safe practices and procedures for the fair and ethical treatment of our patients, families, visitors and other customers
• Responsible for making timely decisions and taking necessary action related to the readiness for, and compliance with, the requirements of internal and external bodies, involving compliance, accreditation, auditing, and other regulations required of laboratory and the system.
• Formulates and monitors annual budget, analyzing variances and benchmarks, and implementing changes in systems or technology required to increase efficiency, productivity, and promote cost containment.
• Translates organizational changes into daily department operation, participates in the development of organizational strategies and involves department leadership and staff in the development of departmental objectives to those strategic goals
• Responsible for the deployment, integration, and modeling of the behaviors and standards of Bronson’s Plan for Excellence in areas of direct responsibility and throughout the entire Bronson Healthcare Group.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Team player that is insightful to interpersonal relationship building. Candidate must have excellent team building skills and must be team-oriented and team-driven.
• Evaluate and assess processes and/or systems to ensure appropriate utilization of laboratory tests and pursue opportunities to reduced costs, improved efficiency, and/or improved outcomes.
• Successfully monitor overall performance of department against mutually agreed targeted outcomes including financial and clinical quality.
• Participates as a contributing member to assigned Bronson System committees.
To apply for this job please visit bronsonhg.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.